Behavioral Disorders in Northern New Jersey
There is often an underlying cause for behavioral problems, which is why finding the cause is essential to treatment. Parents of children in Totowa, Little Falls Township, Woodland Park and the surrounding areas in New Jersey can seek help from Psycho-Educational Associates.
Behavioral problems are one of the most common reasons parents are advised to take their children in for a mental health assessment. That said, behavioral disorders are also common in adults.
Behavioral disorders or disruptive behavioral disorders, are normally diagnosed in childhood. If left untreated, disruptive behavioral disorders could result in negative lifestyle outcomes, such as long-term unemployment and problems engaging others in relationships.
Forms of Behavioral Disorders
Disruptive behavioral disorders, dissociative disorders, and even anxiety disorders are all classed by psychologists as behavioral disorders. Emotional disorders and pervasive developmental disorders are categorized as behavioral disorders as well. Some common behavioral disorders include:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder- ADHD affects seven percent of school-age children and features symptoms like trouble concentrating and impulsiveness.
- Emotional Behavioral Disorder- An emotional behavior disorder can make it difficult for sufferers to regulate their emotions, stay happy and pay attention. Feelings of depression and anxiety related to the sufferer’s personal circumstances are additional symptoms associated with an emotional behavior disorder.
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)-characterized by defiant behavior, irritable mood, and six months or more of vindictive behavior displayed towards a non-sibling. Oftentimes, children with oppositional defiant disorder will steer their defiant behavior and irritability towards those in authority.
- Anxiety Disorders-many anxiety disorders like obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) are debilitating medical conditions that require treatment.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder-an anxiety disorder that features fears and irrational, obsessive thought patterns. These obsessive thought patterns eventually manifest behaviorally as compulsive behaviors.
Origin of Behavioral Disorders
Although many behavioral disorders can have, their roots traced to genetic causes, many times environmental causes are to blame. Certain parental styles may exacerbate behavioral disorders if parents are not aware and equipped how to address such behaviors.
That said, genetics do play a role in someone’s chances of developing a behavioral disorder. Malnutrition, as well as physical disability or illness, might also predispose someone to developing a behavioral disorder.
Tell-Tale Signs of Behavioral Disorders
Inappropriate feelings like low self-esteem and episodes of acting out might be indicative of an underlying behavioral disorder, yet specific symptoms vary depending on the individual.
If someone frequently seems angry, nervous and disrespectful of the rules, then that person might be suffering from a behavioral disorder. Displaying temper tantrums and an inability to handle frustration in a healthy way are additional symptoms of behavioral disorders.
Consequences of Behavioral Disorders
Behavioral disorders may cause long-term lifestyle impairments, especially when left undiagnosed. Children and adolescents might experience a history of school suspensions and fighting whereas adults with a behavioral disorder could be unable to hold down a job or engage in meaningful relationships. Adults and adolescents may engage in substance abuse to provide temporary relief from some of their symptoms, yet this is not a long-term solution.
If you or a loved one are suffering from one or more behavioral disorders, schedule an appointment with a mental health professional and start seeking treatment.
Don’t feel as though your child’s behavioral issues are something you must deal with alone. Here at Psycho-Educational Associates, we have experienced, caring professionals standing by ready to provide you with support for behavioral problems and a variety of other services Contact us today to schedule your appointment!