Individual Therapy in Northern New Jersey
Individual therapy is a time-honored method of treating those who are suffering from anxiety, depression, or a number of related disorders. For individual therapy services, contact Psycho-Educational Associates, leading providers of mental health care for patients in and around Totowa, Little Falls Township, Woodland Park and the surrounding areas in New Jersey.
What is Individual Therapy?
Individual therapy, which is also known as psychotherapy or counseling, is the process of an individual working one-on-one with a trained therapist to resolve psychological issues that may be causing that person distress. The therapist creates a confidential environment in which the patient feels safe and able to express feelings and thoughts. This involves exploring memories, identifying things that require change, setting personal goals, learning how to interact with others and discovering how to work productively towards the desired changes.
What are the Benefits of Individual Therapy?
Stressful occurrences, be it childhood trauma or significant life changes, can throw a person’s sense of well-being off entirely. Without guidance, some people can fall into self-destructive patterns. Therapy can help correct behavioral issues, guide a person back into a healthy lifestyle or allow a person to discover the motivations behind his or her behavior.
It can also help with:
- Improving personal relationships through coping mechanisms and conflict resolution techniques
- Breaking the cycle of addictive and compulsive behavior such as gambling, substance abuse, and eating disorders
- Learning techniques for dealing with emotional or physical suffering to avoid anger or depression
- Improving self-esteem through positive resolution of issues and examination of life experiences
- Providing a set time and place for focus on oneself, allowing for a “calm center” to a busy week
If you’re considering therapy, remember that it can:
- Help you to cope with stressful situations
- Allow you to connect more fully with the people around you
- Aid in overcoming fears that may hold you back
- Provide supportive care for dealing with traumatic events
- Give you space to examine your thoughts and emotions
- Help you identify goals and patterns to help get your life back on track
Why Invest in Individual Therapy?
There are a vast number of reasons to seek therapy, from coping with stressful life events, dealing with childhood traumas, handling issues such as depression or anxiety and even to further personal growth. The relationship between a therapist and a client may stretch from only a few sessions to several years, depending on the client’s needs, the severity of the problem being addressed and the goals of therapy.
Individual Psychotherapy can Treat:
- Issues such as anxiety or depression
- Problematic behaviors such as compulsive gambling
- Grief and/or stress created by life events
- Psychological reactions to traumatic events
- Conflicts in personal relationships
Psychotherapy can also teach a client how to manage conflict, redirect thinking to enhance positive personal growth, and handle stressors as they appear in life.
What to Expect during Psychotherapy?
Psychotherapy itself has a variety of approaches, and each individual therapist has particular techniques he or she adopts. However, the goal of therapy is to create a rapport between the therapist and the client. With this rapport in place, the therapist can then use his or her experience to aid the client in changing detrimental life patterns.
Different styles of therapy are appropriate for different issues. Cognitive (behavioral) therapy, for instance, focuses on the direct treatment of adversely affecting disorders such as depression, anxiety and chronic pain. It can also be used for treating abnormally low self-esteem or aiding in recovery from substance abuse. Psychodynamic therapy is geared towards discovering and resolving underlying personality conflicts while solution-focused brief therapy is more directed to helping clients construct solutions rather than looking at the root of the issue.
Individual therapy can provide you with a safe, secure atmosphere in which to deal with a number of issues. Here at Psycho-Educational Associates, we have experienced, caring professionals standing by ready to provide you with individual therapy and a variety of other services. Contact us today to schedule your appointment!